Marine Consultant – Zeeland
Our client provides scientific consultancy, surveying and testing services to a worldwide client base from offices in the UK, Europe, USA, Asia and Australia.
The group has maritime roots, starting in the mid-19th century with the supply of medicine chests and medication to ships and sailors operating out of Cardiff docks. In the early 20th century analytical, testing and quality certification services were set up to support the fast-growing coal industry in Wales.
Today, our client still offers testing and analytical services to the coal industry, as well as a wide array of scientific services and expertise to a range of industries on an international scale. The last forty years have seen a particular growth in the Company’s operations, with offices opening in London, at the heart of the City’s Insurance industry, and in Houston, Singapore and The Netherlands. The head office is still located in Cardiff, the group has a purpose-built facility with extensive testing and research facilities as well as office space for some 80 technical and administrative staff. Our client has always striven to recruit only the highest calibre staff, and now employ over 120 people of various backgrounds, from both academia and industry, many of whom are recognised experts in their fields.
These days, with over a century of experience, the company has an international reputation for delivering superior independent scientific services and expertise to industry.
The Dutch office of our client is located in Tholen, conveniently located between Rotterdam and Antwerp, main ports of Europe. Due to steady growth of the activities, the company is keen to hire a Marine Consultant. The purpose of this role is to conduct surveys and inspections on board ships and on terminals after incidents and make a clearly documented report on the cause and scale of the incident (cargo contaminations). No two days are the same for Marine Consultants. You will investigate marine incidents and cargo contaminations and communicate with and report to international clients, delivering exceptional customer service alongside experienced colleagues. The Netherlands office is a small and close-knit team. The organisation is flat, and the atmosphere is friendly and familiar. You will report to the Branch Manager.
• Seafaring experience as an officer onboard commercial vessels, preferably as a 2nd officer or higher onboard tankers
• Fluent oral and written English, additional languages (German, French, Spanish) are a plus
• Great attention to detail and accuracy, constant striving for quality
• Willing to board ships at any time to investigate cause and scope of cargo contaminations, mostly within but not limited to ARA range
• Willing to travel internationally to perform above mentioned tasks, often within a day’s notice • Excellent communication skills, able to discuss complex matters with a large financial impact confidently with foreign principals
• Willing to be based in / work from Tholen and live within an hour’s commute
A challenging role in a dynamic, international environment. The company is considered the global leader in its field, its expertise being called upon at 90% of the major accidents at sea globally. Our client offers a competitive salary and attractive fringe benefits.
Olivier Binkhorst, +31 (10) 304 20 70 / email@example.com