Operations Manager – Botlek Rotterdam
Are you ready to build a strong future on safely and efficiently handling liquid bulk at a growing terminal?
Odfjell Terminals is a global provider of tank storage services, owned by Odfjell SE (51%) and Lindsay Goldberg LLC (49%). Odfjell Terminals aims to become the best in class provider of tank storage and associated services for liquid chemicals, oil, biofuels, edible oils and gases, adding value to all relevant stakeholders. The company’s strategy is to grow within its current footprint of terminals, especially in Rotterdam and Houston. A key objective is to harvest synergies with Odfjell Tankers. The company’s current capacity is 3.5 million CBM of storage space with 950 tanks and posted 2016 gross revenues of USD 237 million with an EBITDA of USD 91 million.
Odfjell Terminals operate nine tank terminals, which are in key ports around the world. Odfjell Terminals offer in Rotterdam a toll distillation service for the petrochemical and petroleum industry (PID). The terminal network also includes a cooperation agreement with a group of tank terminals in South America, partly owned by related parties.
Located at Botlek, the heart of Rotterdam’s harbor and the most important chemical distribution center in Europe, ODFJELL TERMINALS (ROTTERDAM) (OTR) has a total gross storage capacity of about 1,636,498 cbm in 284 storage tanks. Current capacity approved for use is 1,198,000 cbm of which 1,000,000 are commercially available. The tank terminal stores both chemicals and mineral oil products.
The Rotterdam PID service controls a large share of the independent product distillation market in Northwest Europe, and operates four distillation columns. The Odfjell Terminals Maritiem (OTM) site is located almost directly opposite OTR, on the south bank of Rotterdam’s main shipping artery Nieuwe Waterweg, surrounded by the port’s largest globalscale refineries. It is connected to OTR via pipeline, and is used to conduct transshipments.
The Rotterdam tank terminal enjoys an extensive infrastructure, with five berths for deep-sea tankers, seven positions for short-sea vessels and 14 positions for barges. The terminal also has extensive facilities for handling trucks, ISO containers and rail cars. The site has its own wastewater treatment plant, which also serves third parties.
Responsibilities and main tasks
• The Manager Operations is a key-player in recognising and developing talent, to boost the terminal to the next level in safety and profit.
• Contribute to the development, implementation and realisation of the overall strategy. Develop and ensure realisation of the operational strategy of the company in line with the overall company strategy and budget, upon approval of the General Manager.
• Contribute to the development of HSE policies and procedures; actively monitor execution of HSE(Q) policy and procedures; ensure alignment of operational working processes with HSE requirements meeting (local) legal requirements and regulations as well as global standards in order to ensure a safe working environment.
• Plan and lead the terminal operations and operational staff, meeting customer’s requirements and performance as per defined KPI’s.
• Ensure regular reviewing and reporting on operational performance and operational costs compared with the approved budget and in accordance with the financial formats and guidelines, in order to monitor financial performance and initiate or take appropriate actions in time.
• Ensure operational and technical management, exchange of best practices with colleagues in the network and ensure use in practice; decide on levels of standardisation for processes regarding maintenance of assets and mainly operational standardisation aimed at an optimal performance.
• Contribute to the situation that operations, planning and Customer Service are geared to each other and have an optimal working relation, in line with the operational and commercial strategies, in order to ensure optimal client satisfaction and a smooth operational performance in the short and longer term.
• Contribute to the development of a long term terminal master-plan; coordinate the investment and divestment proposal process and or draft financial plans and these proposals, in line with shareholder guidelines and upon approval. Ensure the financial planning and control is up to standards and meets current and future business requirements for the terminal.
• Contribute to adequate maintenance of the storage and transfer facilities, balancing operational and financial interests and taking into account HSEQ guidelines, in order to optimise the operational processes and avoid disruptions. Contribute to planning and execution of M&R programmes and effective disturbances responses, in order to optimise use of assets now and in future.
• Develop and manage a qualified and motivated operational team within an efficient and effective organisational context. Ensure a (cost) effective organisational structure, processes, procedures and (professional) culture. Implement and execute HR policies, plans and programmes at the terminal, in order to ensure personnel resources meet current and future business requirements.
• Ensure knowledge development on operational matters with by informing on best practices and professional and regulatory requirements. Build and maintain professional ‘know-how’, make information available to managers and other professionals in the network and translate the information to the specific situation. Ensure the presence as well as execution of training and development programmes for all operational staff.
At least 10 years of operations management experience within the international terminal/tank industry, of which at least 5 years should be experience in dealing also with the commercial side of the business in the Tank industry, as well as with unions and works councils.
Previous positions held would include for exampleOperations Manager,Tank Terminal Manager, etc.
Fluency in Dutch and English (written and oral).
Self-starter,assertive with a strong sense of urgency.Leads from the front
Overcomes resistance and opposition to ideas with a convincing approach
Hands-on work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork
Visionary, strategic mindset, innovative and forward looking
Strong negotiating and stakeholder management skills
Good business acumen, a commercial mind set and risk management skills
Encourages innovation and challenges the status quo
Excellent communication skills thereby gaining the respect and support of staff and other important stakeholders
Detailed profile is available on request