Sales manager Europe dry bulk – Rotterdam
The significant growth of Den Hartogh Logistics requires an investment in developing the European Commercial team for the Dry Bulk Logistics Business as well as Key Account Management for strategic customers.
We are one of the world’s leading Logistics Service Providers (LSPs) when it comes to the safe and reliable transport of bulk liquids, polymers and gasses for the Chemical Industry. As a bulk logistics service provider for the chemical, gas, polymer and dry bulk food industry, we combine the best elements to create the optimal formula for each individual situation.
We are a family-owned organisation that was established in 1920 and are headquartered in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Safety and operational excellence are embedded in our culture. Our smart logistics solutions are formed through chemistry – by working and collaborating with our customers, resulting in the right fit for every type of transport: progress and development through chemistry.
Den Hartogh cares and we therefore take care of our colleagues, partners, customers and families. Besides that, we focus on safety, health, environment and quality in order to create the best results.
Today, the company employs 1600 dedicated people with a great cultural variety in Europe, the Middle East, Far East and North and South America, offices in 43 different locations, a turnover of €500 million, 18850 tank containers, 6700 dry bulk containers, 400 tank trailers and 530 trucks.
To meet the changing demands of the business and ensure the future successful growth ambitions of Den Hartogh Logistics the need has been identified for a strong team leader to lead the commercial team (5 commercial managers & 1 commercial coordinator).
Together with the BU Director, the European Sales Manager will guide the commercial managers within Europe and define, implement and execute the commercial strategy.
The European Sales Manager will lead by example, act as a role model for the commercial team and deliver high-end consultative solutions to both existing as well as potential customers.
Leading the commercial team through a changing business environment and accelerating the overall performance, requires specific competences with a focus on change management and strategic sales.
Place in the organisation
The European Sales Manager reports to the BU Director and is member of the management team. The commercial managers are located in the UK, Belgium, Italy, Spain and Germany.
- Promote the vision and strategy of the company keeping a strong pulse on customer and market developments and ensure that the commercial team responds fast and effectively to market changes and opportunities.
- Identify and create new business opportunities focused on innovation and formulate new business models by leveraging customer needs.
- Drive the consultative selling of services within Den Hartogh Logistics and resist commoditization by selling more complex and innovative solutions.
- Create ambitious goals and strive for better performance and revenues ensuring Den Hartogh Logistics is visible as a successful and reliable partner.
- Influence senior management, gain commitment and support for proposed ideas and handle objections through solid reasoning.
- Stimulate cross selling amongst the commercial team and the Business Units.
- Be a champion for change and continuous improvement, facilitating an open culture within the commercial team by constantly challenging them and motivating them to achieve higher goals.
- Take responsibility and adapt to different personalities, give timely, objective and constructive feedback and be able to delegate content and implementation.
- Inspire the next level of leaders throughout Den Hartogh Logistics.
To be successful, the European Sales manager must quickly
- Understand the business, absorb and organise complex information to help create a sound business vision and a matching appropriate commercial strategy.
- Create and understand financial evaluations, understand costs and cost impact, pricing models and alternatives.
- Impress the commercial team, through quick wins in the area of high-end consultative selling.
- Take responsibility to follow up on decisions and ensure full implementation of actions agreed.
- Determine direction and monitor progress, intervening when necessary.
- Lead the team through a changing business environment, accelerate overall performance, and motivate high quality performance by natural leadership and being a role model.
- A master’s degree in management, finance or commerce.
- Experience and knowledge
- At least 10 years’ experience in a B2B environment of which at least 5 years should be in a senior role focusing on selling services – and concepts.
- Experience of managing a team with top and bottom line responsibility, in companies dealing with logistics or Dry bulk, would clearly be an advantage.
Personal qualities and professional skills
- Commercial agility
- Financial acumen
- Strong analytical skills and conceptual thinking
- Persistence in overcoming difficult challenges
- Skills in diplomacy and ability to work with the senior management and other stakeholders
- Manages time and resources effectively
- Charismatic, inspirational and energetic and motivates others
- Facilitates exchange of ideas and shows empathy
- Is resilient when confronted with resistance or unforeseen circumstances
- Makes use of humor to put things into perspective
- Objective, honest, trustworthy and ethical
- Fluent in English and one other European Language
The Dry Bulk HQ is in Hull (UK). For this role we have a preference for a candidate based on the European continent. (i.e. Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium). There is an option to work from home or within the other Den Hartogh European Offices. Significant travel within the European region is a given.
The remuneration package is competitive, matches industry standards and will not be a constraint to attract the right candidate.