Vessel Manager – ALP Maritime Services BV – Rotterdam
Are you passionate about the maritime industry? Do you have a background in technical engineering and relevant experience ashore and does it energize you to manage technically complex vessels? Then you might be the Vessel Manager that we’re looking for!
ALP is the specialist in the field of Ocean Towing, Offshore Positioning and Mooring of Floating Platforms, Heavy Transport and Salvage operations. The company was founded beginning 2010 and operates today a fleet of 10 modern ocean-going tugs ranging from 192 to 309ts Bollard Pull Ton
In 2014, ALP became a 100% subsidiary company of Teekay Offshore Partners LP, working independently from their headquarters in Rotterdam. ALP’s office is located in the reputed Maastoren, direct in the beating heart of the city and with a great view over the city and river Maas.
ALP’s team with decades of hands-on experience in the most complex and largest towing, transport and installation projects, is ready to serve ALP’s worldwide clients with the finest equipment that the maritime towing and transport industry has to offer.
Purpose of the role
As a Vessel Manager at ALP you will ensure that all assigned vessels are operated in a safe, efficient and economical manner and in full compliance with the regulations, as well as company and client requirements. You will be responsible and accountable for the full management of nominated vessels within the fleet department.
Tasks and responsibilities
* Full overview of tasks and responsibilities upon request.
Plan & drive assigned vessel operational requirements, including:
- Dry-dock and major repairs and reporting;
- Scheduled and unscheduled maintenance repairs, including plans and out of service documentation prepared pre work commencement;
- Developing accurate financial information and controls including providing budget and forecast input to the Fleet Manager. Ensure strategies are in place for maintaining appropriate certification;
- Communicating overall performance goals, expectations and support achievement of personal goals for Chief Engineers and direct reports ashore;
- Ensuring Safety and Environmental compliance;
- Coordinating internal & external vessel inspections, and HSEQ for vessel audits and onboard training;
- begin part of ERT team as lead on technical issues and responsible for communication towards vessel.
Place in the organization:
The Vessel Manager is part of an enthusiastic team of vesselmanagers within the Fleet Department and reports to the Fleet Manager.
Higher vocational (bachelor or master degree) qualification in (marine) engineering or equivalent, or 3-5 years’ sailing experience as a vessel Chief Engineer or Master;
- 5-8 years’ shore based experience as Vessel manager/Technical Superintendent;
- Knowledge of technical operations for the vessel types managed;
- Knowledge of propulsion plant onboard vessels managed;
- A desire to drive continuous improvement in self and others;
- Analytical, problem solving, project management and time management skills;
- Ability to respond positively to customers in an effective manner;
- Demonstrates teamwork, interpersonal and communications skills;
- Fluency in English and Dutch is required;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;
- Knowledge of cargo containment systems, cargo handling equipment and systems on board vessels managed;
- Ability to travel for weeks at a time on short notice.
ALP Maritime Services BV offers a competitive compensation and benefits including an attractive pension scheme.